Friday, October 21, 2016

Why I Believe - Part 3 - The Spirit World

Part 1 | Part 2

Everyone knows I'm a Mormon. Seriously, everyone. There have been several times when missionaries have told me that some person they met on the street, usually a person I barely even know, has told them they know me. Even more often, I get messages from people saying they've offered the missionaries a glass of water/paid for their ice cream/not slammed a door in their faces/smiled at them on my behalf. (Thanks, guys!) 

What I don't think so many people know is why I believe. (Usually asked as "why I gave up sweet tea and frappes.") The simple answer is that it's true and it's changed my life - but that's not the answer anyone wants. What they want to hear is more complicated, and I can be hesitant to share those details at a holiday dinner or in the middle of the market. I'm more than happy to share in other settings, but most people don't want to come join my Sunday school class or schedule a 45 minute discussion. 

So, I've picked 5 principles of the gospel - basic things Mormons believe - that contribute the most to my personal testimony. Mormons believe a lot more than just this, most of it exactly the same as any other Christian church, but these are 5 things that I feel most strongly tie my beliefs to this specific church. 

The Spirit World 

The Spirit World was my VERY FIRST favorite thing when I was learning about this church!

When I was younger, I struggled greatly with the idea that anyone who died without hearing about Christ or who never gained faith in Him would be sentenced to spend eternity in Hell. I clearly remember a preacher describing the image of one who was suffering horribly in Hell begging those in Heaven for even a drop of water, and the people in Heaven ignoring that request. That thought has always horrified me. Who would want to be in Heaven while knowing other people are suffering and you're not allowed to help? That concept was much of what led to my disbelief in God.

As soon as I heard this aspect of the Plan of Salvation, my heart was opened to the idea that maybe one Christian church could be true.

When we die, our physical bodies are separated from our spirits, and our spirits go to a place called the Spirit World. It's a place of waiting and rest, but also a place of learning and work. From the time of our death until the resurrection, when we'll finally be judged, we'll be engaged in teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ to those who were unable to learn about Him during their mortal lives.

In the Spirit World, there are two conditions. The first, "Paradise" is for those who accepted Christ and lived His gospel to the best of their ability. The other, "Prison," is for those who did not. I think of Paradise and Prison as states of mind. I imagine that if I leave this mortal life and realize I didn't do what I came to earth to do, I'll be pretty anguished. Those who were faithful will minister to those who weren't, helping them to repent and leave that state of sorrow.

That's one of my absolute favorite things about this religion: we don't believe anyone will be doomed to suffer for eternity just because of the circumstances in which they were born. We send out missionaries to preach to people during mortality because of the great joy the gospel brings to our lives, not because we believe those who never hear about Christ will be damned.

I know that when I die, I won't have to stand idly by knowing that others are suffering for their ignorance of the gospel. I can continue to teach others of Christ's goodness and what He's done for each of them. Even after death, I can keep following Christ's example. No brother or sister who wants to return to Heavenly Father's presence has to be left behind.

More Information: 1 2

No comments:

Post a Comment