Saturday, November 25, 2017

50(ish) Things I'm Thankful For

A couple of days late, but after a year without blogging I think a couple of days late is better than nothing.
  • Friendships with people who support me in being the best and most authentic version of myself 
  • My patriarchal blessing and the dozens of priesthood blessings I've received

  • Being able to spend holidays visiting my parents and grandmother 
  • 21 years of holiday memories with both of my grandmothers together (in-law unity) 
  • Rest areas with wheelchair accessible bathrooms 
  • Serving with a Relief Society president who's taken the time to learn what foods don't make me sick 
  • AmeriCorps VISTA 
  • Coworkers who become friends, even temporarily 
  • The ability to use my time in mortality to love and help others, especially as a CASA and LWB volunteer 
  • Parents who taught me how to serve 
  • My home hospital bed, RoboChair, Rikki Bobbi, and other tech that gives me freedom 
  • Every person who treats me like a "normal" person from the first time they meet me 
  • Friends and family who listen when I need to vent about the people who don't treat me like a "normal" person (especially those who get angry about it with me) 
  • Forgiveness 
  • Years of therapy 
  • Chocolate
  • The Atonement of Jesus Christ 
  • Knowing (having a unique and precious testimony of) our Heavenly Father's plan for us 
  • Getting to chill with the Holy Ghost (almost) every day 
  • Every young adult who chooses to serve as an LDS missionary 
  • Being loved enough by the missionaries that I get to stay friends with so many of them years after they've gone home

  • Drunk texts from former missionaries #honored 
  • Patty Friend 
  • Doctors who laugh with me 
  • All of the bishops, branch presidents, and institute teachers I've had and what I've learned from them 
  • Accessible parking with adequate ramp space 
  • Curb cuts that aren't sketch 
  • Witnessing the miracle of others gaining testimonies of the things Heavenly Father wants them to know 
  • Snapchat (it's a friendship strengthener) 
  • Humility (even when it comes from the less pleasant part of "Be humble or be humbled") 
  • Friends, family, and strangers who both literally and metaphorically pick me up when I'm down
  • Friends who both literally and metaphorically sit on the floor with me when they can't pick me up
  • Two Excedrin and a bottle of coke
  • Having the body that my spirit needs 
  • Being West Virginian 
  • Sci-fi where the good guys always win 
  • Leggings, maxi skirts, and all other manner of clothing that hides the fact that I only shave my legs twice a week in the winter #keepingitreal 
  • The promise of summer 
  • Every experience that helps me gain a testimony of the importance of families - not just my own
  • Cats who decide I'm their person whether I like it or not 
  • Old dogs 
  • Seeing this tattoo every day and remembering why I got it 
Please disregard the fact that the only photo I have of it is actually a tan comparison.
  • Having a symbol of my covenants with Heavenly Father that I can see every day 
  • My running list of things I've done that I never thought I could do 
  • Being born in the first time in history that I could get an education, live independently, drive a car, and do almost everything else that able-bodied people do
  • Cinnamon hot chocolate 
  • Zofran 
  • The world's coolest baby sister
  • The perspective to know that the preteen attitude isn't forever
  • An extended family that defies the conventional definition of "family" in every way but love 
  • Chick-fil-A

No comments:

Post a Comment